When it comes to basic preventive, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry services, a general dentist is likely your best bet. If you need more complex treatments, it may be time to call a specialist. Dentists who specialize in specific areas of the field have advanced training to perform specific procedures safely and effectively. A specialist usually invests in a wider range of advanced technologies to ensure the comfort, efficacy, and speed of the treatments they offer. Oral surgeons are dental specialists who offer patients complex procedures. Many oral surgeons are both dentists and medical doctors. This allows them to provide an even greater range of oral surgery services.
Frequently Offered Oral Surgery Options
Many general dentists perform complex services without any concerns arising, and these dentists are often skilled practitioners. However, there are surgical treatments that would be best left to a specialist. Some of the many surgical options that may be better performed by an oral surgeon rather than a general dentist include:
- The placement of dental implants
- Tooth extractions, including the most complex wisdom tooth removal
- Jaw surgeries following traumatic injury or to improve oral function
- Bone or soft tissue grafting
- Oral pathology, testing for cancer and other chronic diseases
Why You Should Trust an Oral Surgeon
There are many reasons why you may want to visit an oral surgeon for advanced treatments, including:
- These specialists have experience handling potential complications that can arise during surgery, maximizing chances for successful treatment
- Specialists have more advanced tools and technologies to provide surgical treatments more quickly and comfortably
- An oral surgeon may be able to complete numerous or very complex procedures in a single appointment, so you don’t have to worry about multiple visits
- Surgical practices typically have more sedation dentistry and anesthesia options available to ensure your complete relaxation and comfort
Meet Dr. Lee
Skilled Marietta oral surgeon, Jeff Lee, MS, MD, DMD, has extensive education and training that allows him to provide patients numerous surgical treatments all under one roof. Dr. Lee earned doctoral degrees in both medicine and dentistry. He is able to safely provide oral and maxillofacial surgery, sedation and anesthesia, and complex reconstructive treatments. He and his team also use the latest high tech digital dental technologies, including a state-of-the-art CT scanner to ensure precision and flawless results. If you’re ready to get started with an oral surgery plan in our Cambridge or Marietta oral surgery practice, call Muskingum Valley Oral Surgery to schedule an appointment today.