If you still have dental benefits left – and since only 2.8% of people with dental insurance meet or exceed their annual maximum, chances are you do – you are running out of time to use them before they reset at the end of 2019. Once the new year arrives, you lose any remaining benefits, and with them potentially hundreds of dollars in savings. Learn why it’s important to take advantage of your dental insurance and how you can put it to good use.
Why Is Using Dental Insurance Important?
If there’s not an immediate issue with your oral health, you might not feel like you need to worry about using insurance to get dental care. However, there are many reasons why it’s to your advantage to utilize your benefits while you still have them:
- The annual maximum is essentially money put aside for dental treatment and procedures. This money does not roll over once your plan resets. That means you’ll save the most money by using as much of the maximum as possible every year.
- You have already paid for your benefits in the form of premiums. If you want to get your money’s worth, don’t waste your dental benefits!
- If you have met your deductible for the year, beginning any necessary dental treatment now can ultimately reduce your out-of-pocket costs.
- There’s a good chance that you could save money by seeing your dentist now in case their rates go up next year.
- In general, getting dental care sooner rather than later – whether it’s a restorative treatment or a routine checkup – will prevent cavities and gum disease from becoming severe to the point where you need advanced treatments such as root canal therapy or tooth extraction.
How Can You Use Your Dental Insurance?
Different policies provide somewhat different coverage, so you should review your insurance plan to confirm the benefits that you’re entitled to. Usually, your plan will be geared towards preventive care. For example, Buckeye Health Plan Insurance – which received the highest quality rating among all Ohio managed plans from the Ohio Department of Medicaid – will fully cover the cost of regular dental cleanings, examinations and X-rays. Taking advantage of benefits like this will help you avoid the plaque buildup that leads to more serious oral health issues.
A good strategy for using your dental insurance is to schedule a checkup if you haven’t already had at least two this year. During your visit, your dentist in Cambridge can figure out whether or not your teeth need any kind of surgery to stay healthy; if they do, you stand to save the most money if you schedule the appointment before the year ends so that you can use your current benefits and still have next year’s full amount to work with. Be smart when it comes to the cost of a healthy smile!
About the Author
Dr. Jeff Lee completed a four-year residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, and he has served in the United States Navy. He is skilled in placing dental implants and performing several other surgical procedures. His practice in Cambridge, Muskingum Valley Oral Surgery, accepts the Buckeye Health Plan and will always make sure that you receive the full benefits you’re entitled to. If there’s a surgery you need that will let you take advantage of your dental insurance, or if you need to schedule a preventive checkup, you can schedule an appointment through his website or by calling (740) 432-8768.